My Hair Story


I figure that the perfect way to kick this blog off is with my hair story.

I just performed a Big Chop December 5, 2008, and not by choice. My new teensy weensy afro full of kinky curls is not, however, my first time rocking it natural. I transitioned for 2 yrs in college and then rocked my natural curls for another 7 years!!!!

I know what you're wondering... WHY THE HELL DID I EVER RELAX AGAIN?

I didn't want to. It was some combination of relocating after Katrina to a new place with no stylists (I mean that literally, Santa Cruz, CA black population 1%), taking an ultra conservative corporate job, a pile up of negative comments from family about my "black power phase", and being frustrated with my super long and unmanageable length. You see, my hair had grown out in spite of my ignorance. I stumbled around, no idea what products of processes to use, and basically devised a pattern of twist-outs that I taught myself.

Fast forward to now... it only took 6 months for my hair to fall out once I started relaxing again. I went to a wonderful stylist who put me onto phytospecific lye-free relaxers, and my hair grew back, but it was expensive and my hair was still rather fragile. I was panicked at what to do with my hair because I could no longer afford to get the chemical fire cream or travel to get my hair done. I took out a sew-in weave after 2 months, and based on some bad advice from a well-meaning friend, wound up in the shower with a head full of dreadlocs!!!!! A Dios Mio!

2.5 hrs later, and there was no choice but to lop off the loc'd up parts. I was devastated. I did have 2 1/2 mths worth (about 3-4 in) of extremely healthy new growth because of the braids, but I had no idea that I was unintentionally transitioning! I couldn't stand the sight of my uneven hack job, so I threw it into some cornrows w/ extensions and waited a week. In the meantime, a napturally beautiful friend of mine put me on to all the info, fotkis, products, and tutorials available online.

I'm now so happy this happened! It's the perfect time in my life to get re-acquainted with the best parts of myself. I have no fear that I will ever be pressured into throwing away a long, healthy head of hair again either. There's so much to learn... I'll be spending a lot of time on the message boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment