Mega Care Raw Shea Butter Oil -- 2 out of 5

This stuff is something I happened upon while perusing the shelves of the Korean Beauty Mart near my house. (I'm not that big of a fan of this place -- not a lot there for the naptural curly beauties... many of the products have no-no ingredients and there are NO organic products or raw materials to make anything good for your hair.)

It comes in an orange tube. Here's the ingredient list: raw shea butter, canola oil, safflower oil, cotton seed oil, wheat germ oil, jojoba oil, macadamia nut oil, tocopherol, fragrance. It's pretty straightforward stuff, which is why I was surprised to find it there and why I plunked down the 3.99 or whatever to take it home and give it a try. I also saw an awesome youtuber, Ladykpnyc, use it during one of her tutorials to oil her scalp while her hair was wet. I decided to use it the same way.

I co-washed and parted my hair into sections. The tube of has a pointed nozzle, so I applied it directly to my scalp. Frankly, I wasn't impressed. The oil was light, but I found the smell to be very unpleasant (probably the cotton seed oil), and I did notice scalp itching until I co-washed it out. Disclaimer: I'm allergic to nuts. This product has macadamia nut oil. It could be that, but there is a possibility that it's not, because although I am allergic to raw nuts, and raw nut butters and powders, I am usually not allergic to nut oils. This is because oils are pressed and cleaned and whatever allergen affects in the plant is usually processed out, i.e. I eat peanut oil all the time.

Back to the product review. My scalp was moisturized, but the cons outweighed the pros. I'll probably be passing this on. I saw no reason to continue shelling out money for this stuff when there is perfectly good raw shea butter out there (somewhere) for me to use, whipped, mixed, or otherwise, on my hair.

*No pic available online, nor a company website. Me no likey... :(

No comments:

Post a Comment