Aphogee 2-Step Protein Treatment -- 1 out of 4


Let me start by saying that I had never heard of protein sensitivity in hair until I started following curlynikki's blog. By that time, I was curious to answer the question in regards to my own hair because it seems so key. When you check the ingredients of most hair products, protein, usually in the form of wheat germ protein, is on the list! I began to get a a little paranoid. Is my hair protein sensitive?! I'm allergic to a million and one things in nature and on my plate, so I am more likely to assume an allergy as the cause of misery than anything else.

I am happy to report that no, it seems that I am not protein sensitive. Yet and still, Aphogee 2-step treatment was too much for me! This is a WHOLE LOTTA protein ya'll. Imagine 12 eggs stinkily frying on your hair. That's about what the experience was like for me.

This is not my first time dealing with protein. I remember when I got my first perms in 7th grade-- I got them because I was a dancer and my mom was tired of me sweating out my press daily. It only took about 6 months to break off badly. The hairstylist I was seeing, slapped several Aphogee treatments on my head at that time. I remembered it being goopy, hard to deal with, stinky, and rock hard. When I read that some people have a lot of success with it and use it regularly as napturals, I was eager to try again since you can get at any beauty supply store. In fact, the one that I went to single-use packets in the box separately. I got mine for 1.99+ tax.

I co-washed then got ready to use. It comes in 2 parts. First the protein treatment itself, under the dryer @ high heat until hard and dry (NO SHOWER CAP). Then the creamy conditioner which you rinse out almost immediately. Well, step one was a mess! The stuff is super runny, about the consistency and color of beaten eggs. I could hardly get it on my head. I was also concerned that there wouldn't have been enough without my hair being a short twa. I got it worked in, and the smell was eye-watering and chemically. I experienced immediate regret. That's when the stinging began....

This reminded me of a perm so bad I could have cried. I got under the dryer like a concentration camp victim, all dogged endurance. It took longer to dry hard that I would have liked. Once again, if my hair had been longer... torture time! I rinsed it out eagerly only to feel my hair hard and stripped feeling. I rushed on...

The second step was better. The conditioner smelled good, and after applying, working it in, and rinsing, my hair felt alot better. I wound up doing a deep conditioner with evoo, honey, and an olive oil packet to get it back to softness. I didn't notice any immediate perking up of m hair, and the hardness left after the dc, but I think it did give me a protein boost. I'm just unsure that I needed one at all. I'll be leaving this packet on the shelves from now on... try if you dare!

No comments:

Post a Comment